Floorplanner.com a web based program that allows you to quickly and easily sketch your house floor plans. The software also lets you put the furniture in the plans which is handy to plan circulation areas, view your plans in 2D and 3D. It’s free to use. You can subscribe to a paid level to be able to create more plans and export your drawings in high resolution, but the free version could work just fine. Least but not less it was the only floor plan software I could get my hands on that could be configured to work in metric system.
You can find a detailed article about how to use Floorplanner.com here.
Recently I came across a 3D house planner tool available at mydeco.com. I gave it a try and must say I was quite impressed with the tool.
Mydeco 3D planner is also a web based tool and free to use.
One of the nice and popular features of Mydeco 3D planner seems to be the ability to share your designs with the community. You just need to publish your design on Mydeco website to get feedback and suggestions. You can even enter a design competition with your creation. On the screen capture above you can see the site claims there has been more than 376 thousand designs created with the tool. That’s amazing.
Other things I like about Mydeco 3D planner include:
- You don’t have to start from scratch. You can start a room from an existing design created by another user
- You can design virtually any room in the house. I’ve seen some beautiful kitchen designs, lounges, kids bedrooms, amazing bathrooms ideas, even landscaping projects and more
- The tool can be configured in metric which is the system we use in Australia
- You can design staircase. That’s convenient if you are designing a multi-storey house
- Huge ranges of furniture. Mydeco.com seems to act like a hub for shopping house furniture. When you click on something you like it takes you to the merchant website in the UK
- 2D and 3D views are available on the same screen. You just need to move the camera around on the 2D view to check out how a perspective of the room from a particular angle would look like
- The feature I find the most helpful is certainly the ability to change colours of the walls and ceiling. I find it handy to have a visual sense of how different colours are combined before you commit with them
Examples of designs available on Mydeco.com
The camera placed in the left bottom corner provides the following 3D view of the island (notice the ceiling light fixtures above the island bench):
This tool is just fantastic. I’ve already spent a few hours exploring it. I will certainly use it for my next design projects. To me the tool seems quite powerful and versatile. It can be used to create house designs and floor plans whether you are building a new house of renovating.
If you have used Mydeco 3D planner feel free to share your experience in the comment section below.