Five reasons why wide kitchen drawers are better options than cupboards
People ask me often if it’s better to have cupboards or drawers in the kitchen.
My answer is to go for drawers. But not any size drawers. I would recommend to design your kitchen with wide drawers. For the same space you will have less drawers but you will be able to store more. In our kitchen the only cupboard we have the one is under the sink since you can’t have drawers there.
Benefits of wide kitchen drawers include:
- You can store more things, example with pots, pans, plates like on these pictures of our kitchen
- Less kitchen drawers mean less labour for the kitchen company therefore cheaper to make. In the photo below there 7 pots with lids one of which is a 8 litre stock pot! They fit in one wide drawer.
- By reducing the number of kitchen drawers (but make them wider) you could actually have the best hardware such as the Blum soft-close rails for a little extra
- It’s easier to reach the things you store in drawers. No more backache when bending to reach things in the cupboard. Your kitchen is more ergonomic
- A wire basket can replace ergonomically a cupboard for your sauces, oils, condiments, etc.
You can visit Blum website for more information about Blumotion drawers runners.
For more info about ergonomics in a kitchen I would strongly recommend to visit Hettich Intelligent Kitchens website here.
Do you have more kitchen drawers or cupboards?