Building A New Home – How To Go From A Block Of Land To A New House
Building a new home doesn’t have to be a dreadful venture. Though the whole process can sound daunting, long and stressful as compared to buying an established house.
Besides if you talk to different people who had their houses built chances are a few of them may even advise against building a new house from scratch.
It was our first custom house construction project in Australia and we were very excited. We made mistakes here and there but also learned a lot along the way. We now live in our new home and are very happy with the final result.
We believe that building your new house is worth the effort and can save you money if you are well prepared and follow a clear process.
That’s why we have set up this website to share with you our experience. We hope the information provided here will help you build your dream house in a smooth fashion with the least deal of stress possible!
The overall process we went through was:
- Buying a block of land in a new estate
- Consult an experienced architect to discuss and finalise house designs and floor plans for our custom built house. The outcome of this phase was a detailed sketch of our house floor plans with the roof lines. The design had to be in total compliance with the Lease and Development Conditions imposed on our block of land. Our architect then handed the sketch over to a specialised architectural firm to produce complete and detailed working drawings and Energy Rating report. This set has everything required by the building approval authority
- Submit complete set of house floor plans and working drawings for approval
- Work out building costs
- Assess and select house builders
- Building a house took six month from signature of contract until handover. The kitchen design was finalised in step 2 above.
- Finishing with floor covering and blinds
Click to view in pictures the stages involved in building our custom house from start to finish.
Remaining things we are doing now include:
If you like these articles please share the love so others in the same situation can benefit too. You are also welcome to share your experience in the comment section.
Enjoy the journey!